By RUE MORGUE STAFF
Years in the making, the three-disc set will be fully loaded with special features.
Synapse Films releases THE KINDRED in a limited-edition (3,500 pieces) Steelbook package December 14. Directed by Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter, the 1987 release stars David Allen Brooks, Amanda Pays, Talia Balsam and Oscar winners Rod Steiger and Kim Hunter, plus a very nasty, multi-tentacled monster created via impressive practical effects. The region-free Blu-ray will feature a new 4K restoration of the complete, unrated version of the film, presented in 1080p 1.78:1 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 Stereo Surround audio and the original theatrical 2.0 mono sound. Special features are:
- Audio commentary by directors Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter, moderated by horror journalist Steve Barton
- INHUMAN EXPERIMENTS–THE MAKING OF “THE KINDRED,” an all-new documentary produced by Red Shirt Pictures (52 mins.)
- A special compilation of creature effects artist Michael McCracken, Jr.’s never-before-seen on-set footage
- Still gallery and original storyboards
- Original theatrical trailer, original video promotional trailer and TV spots
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Liner notes booklet featuring writing by film scholar and horror expert Michael Gingold
The set will also include a DVD and a CD soundtrack of the original film score by David Newman, with a slipcover/O-card sleeve designed by Wes Benscoter and Steelbook artwork by Alexandros Pyromallis. It is now available exclusively via the Synapse Films website; retail price is $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee), with shipping beginning on December 14 or as soon as the sets are received at Synapse. International orders will be handled by DiabolikDVD.