By MICHAEL GINGOLD
An Italian flesheater favorite from the man who invented the genre is coming to high-definition disc next month. Read on for the full details, the artwork and a trailer.
Severin Films has announced that it will release EATEN ALIVE!, from director Umberto Lenzi (MAN FROM DEEP RIVER), on Blu-ray January 30. The film, which combines cannibal carnage with echoes of the Jonestown massacre, stars Robert Kerman (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Janet Agren (CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD/THE GATES OF HELL), DEEP RIVER’s Ivan Rassimov, Me Me Lai (JUNGLE HOLOCAUST) and Mel Ferrer, and will be presented on the disc uncut, uncensored and fully remastered in HD for the first time ever, with all-new extras. The complete lineup of bonus features is:
- “Welcome to the Jungle”: Interview with director Umberto Lenzi
- “Me Me Lai Bites Back”: Feature documentary on the Queen of Cannibal Movies
- “The Sect of the Purification”: Interview with production designer Antonello Geleng
- Archive interviews with actors Ivan Rassimov and Robert Kerman
- 2013 Q&A with Umberto Lenzi from the Festival of Fantastic Films, UK
The disc will come with a reversible cover featuring the movie’s alternate title DOOMED TO DIE! In addition, there will be a DVD version, and a limited-edition (2,500 copies) Blu-ray with an exclusive slipcover and CD soundtrack. Severin is also selling an EATEN ALIVE! T-shirt and Lenzi enamel pin, and a “Cannibundle” combining all this stuff; you can order the disc and merch at the company’s webstore.